Southern Tier Brewing Company Crème Brûlée (Imperial Milk Stout)

September 8, 2011

Ok, I have a treat for you all. A delicious, sweet, creamy treat. And the best part?

It’s a beer.

I went to my buddy Katie’s Labor Day BBQ on Monday with my dearest pal, Veronika, and we toted along a delicious Buffalo Chicken Dip that was only the tip of a delicious iceberg that was the “spread”.

Buffalo Chicken Dip in the front, actual buffalo chicken wings on the left

Cherries, pasta salad, all the chips and dips, clementines, collard greens, green peppers, and carrots. Mmmm!

But that really wasn’t the treat I meant (though these were all treats).

That's the money shot.

Sweating in my hand is 22 oz of tastiness in the form of a bottle of Southern Tier Brewing‘s Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout.

Described by the brewer:

We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew.

9.6% ABV

Wow. That’s a lot of words to describe this beer (or not even really describe it. Either way, it’s a lot of words.)

Here’s my description: This is a beer for every dessert lover out there. It’s a beer that I genuinely believe could even win the hearts of devout “non-beer drinkers” and beer drinkers alike. It’s sweet, it’s creamy, and, when served cold, it’s better than any popsicle I’ve had (except maybe Locopopsmaybe). And by God, if it doesn’t taste like Crème Brûlée!!

The smell resembled a rich vanilla, the taste kept that vanilla party going with a few hints of coffee or cocoa (I’m looking forward to trying their Mokah Imperial Stout soon, bottle of that waiting in the fridge). The mouthfeel was so creamy that we decided to do a little experiment, for the sake of science.

Do I dare?

Oh, yes. I dared.

One scoop of vanilla ice cream + a liberal pouring of Crème Brûlée Imperial Milk Stout + blender = best boozy milkshake I’ve ever had in my entire life.

Here’s the thing about this beer: I don’t think I could’ve had more than the one, at least not in one night. It’s a special treat, but I enjoyed every last drop. If you’re curious to try a beer that doesn’t really taste like a beer…. try this beer. If you already taste many beers on a regular basis, still try this beer. It’s a beer that isn’t like any other one I’ve tried. And I’d totally recommend it.

It pairs nicely with ribs AND with Paul's crazy face!

Now, all I need to do is get a hold of their infamous Pumking!!

Have you ever tried a dessert beer? How about a beer milkshake?  Or any other kind of creamy boozy drink?

I used to be a big fan of the occasional White Russian. Smooth and tasty. But cream and booze…. you can only take it so far before someone gets very ill (I assume, that’s one experience I’ve never had, thank goodness!)

1. September 8, 2011 9:38 am

This is a curious beer indeed. I can’t even fathom what it would taste like.

I would like to share a very traditional South African specialty, because sharing is caring, and its delicious. Its called Don Pedro and its served after dinner.

In a Blender, Combine 1 oz whiskey, 1 oz Kahlua (or Frangelico, or favorite coffee liqueur), 1 cup vanilla ice cream. Add cream or half and half to read desired consistency. Pour into wine glass and garnish with cinnamon or shaved chocolate.

Your welcome.

Have you tried the Klondike Bar cocktail from Top O? Pretty creamy and delicious.

2. September 8, 2011 11:33 am

I must find that flavor. I have had the Pumpking, and like your description of the Creme Brulee I would label it more of a dessert-y pumpkin beer than say the way Dogfish’s Punkin tastes. When you smell, the scent is just liked baked pumpkin pie and it even has a buttery flavor to it. I only had one because I think any more would’ve been too much. Perhaps it would also make for a good smoothie. ;)

3. September 8, 2011 12:57 pm

I’ve heard good things about that beer, but I haven’t had it yet. I especially haven’t had it in a boozeshake. Clever! I bet it’d make a good beer float.

4. September 8, 2011 4:35 pm

Mmmm, beer AND ice cream? I think I was destined to know you. And I will send my husb to seek out this beer immediately.

5. September 9, 2011 9:51 am

That sounds like an awesome milkshake!

6. September 10, 2011 12:31 am

OK this sounds like a beer I would *maybe* like. I’m such a beer-hater (sorry it’s true) and I haven’t grown to like it yet. Lauren always tells me I need to give it a try, but it’s not for me. Something that tastes like creme brulee though? I’d definitely want to give that a try.

For now, I will stick to vodka. I SERIOUSLY want to try Pinnacle brand’s “cake” vodka or “chocolate” vodka. I might die and go to heaven.

7. Michael permalink
    September 12, 2011 7:02 pm

An NC favorite is A Duck Rabbit Milk Stout ice cream float, not shake, float. I am a big fan of Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and tonight I plan on trying Brooklyn Chocolate Stout for the first time.

8. September 12, 2011 7:07 pm

At the same time I am reading your post and going “yummm..” my husband is reading over my shoulder going “blach, what self respecting brewer would do a dessert beer?!?”. Needless to say, your post sparked an argument in our house that will only be settled by a trip to the liquor store! I’m hoping that it’s available in at our local store!

• September 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Psh, forget self respecting, clearly they’re ME-respecting! Hope it’s delish. OR that you can find a delish one right up both your alleys!

9. September 22, 2011 10:03 am

That sounds amazing! Wonder if that is sold around here…

Trackbacks