Six Pack Sunday: There’s ALWAYS Time for Wine

February 12, 2012

The saddest Sundays are always the ones when you’re in a long distance relationship.  Normally, Sundays are the days of travel, the days of farewell, and the days of planning the next visit.  LUCKILY, I’ve already got plans to see Ryan next week so let’s focus on the past week. Because it seems like the theme was WINE (and lots of it.)  No worries, though, because every now and then, it’s good to mix up a Six Pack Sunday with a little wine.  No worries, craft beer continues to be my jam…  But hey, when in Rome Durham…

1. The Blind Side Wine

Ok, I thought (at first) it was the wine talking. And then I thought maybe it was just the Ole Miss cup.  But check this out.

Note the Ole Miss cup on the bottom left of the image!!

This was our wine tasting/aroma educator, Barbara, at the Science of Wine event at the Museum of Life & Science.  But I just checked it out.  And she looks JUST like Miss Sue from The Blind Side.

TWINS!!

Kathy Bates, you have a wine-o doppleganger and she’s teaching the wine lovers of the Triangle!!

2. Champagne Wishes and Caviar… Nightmares

Oh, you fancy, huh?

Know what goes well with a sparkling wine tasting?

CAVIAR!!

Well, at least, in my opinion.  It’s not something I normally enjoy (Mama isn’t made of money!) but for the fancy Sparkling Wine tasting that Ryan and I enjoyed for our four year anniversary celebration, it was the food pairing for wine #2.  It was also the first caviar Ryan had ever tried.

The verdict?

Bearded bite!

The man was not a fan.

Oh well, more for me.

3. Button, Button, Who’s got the button?

Do any of you celebrate the Summer of Riesling? (Only 129 days left for 2012!!)  Well, it’s one of my favorite things about summer…  And now, thanks to the folks at Six Plates, I’ve got the button to prove it!

Sweet collection

Don’t Fear the Riesling, y’all.

4. Just Call Me Lucy

There’ll be more on this later… But here’s a teaser.

This little piggy went to Sonoma.

5. Never Fail with Kale!

Romance corner: Let's get in it.

I was having a lousy day on Wednesday. You know what made it better?

KALE!

I’d never tried it before and I followed this recipe  for something quick and easy. SO GOOD!  Oh, and incredibly cheap. It was about 34 cents for more than a full serving.

Yes, Kale, I’ll be getting you all the time.

5. Classin’ Up the Joint

Our sparkling wine tasting was at the ever-swanky King’s Daughter Inn located in the heart of Durham.  The digs were luxurious, and I wished that I had the cash money to stay there for a romantic weekend instead of just an hour or two.  However, Ryan and I decided a better way to treat the Marcona almonds paired with Sparkling Wine #1 than just eating them…

Trying to ogle my gullet? Perfect opportunity.

That’s right, we played “catch the almond in your mouth” in a 4-star hotel.

Bingo

Don’t worry, we caught every single one.

6. Love Biscuits

Oh hot damn.

King’s Daughter Inn, you make one hell of a biscuit.

Reading this is making me salivate...

Honey & Cracked Pepper Biscuits, Bacon, & goat cheese?

AHHHH!!

AND Ryan tried (and LIKED goat cheese)!

This was the best decision I’ve had in a while, just saying.

Wine, you ain’t too shabby…. But, don’t worry Craft Beer, you’re still my Valentine.

XOXO

Ever done any fun wine events or tastings?

Favorite food to pair with wine?

1. February 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Wine tasting sounds like it’d be so fun!

• February 13, 2012 9:18 am

I like it when it’s in a controlled, less-than-crazy atmosphere like this! Otherwise, I’ve seen it get pretty rowdy!

2. Jenny permalink
    February 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Congrats on 4 years! And yes, kale is so awesome and so cheap. You should try making kale chips sometime. But don’t make a huge batch, they don’t store well. Here’s the recipe I loosely follow (I don’t use oil, just spray pan and kale with PAM): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/detail.aspx

• February 13, 2012 10:28 am

Ooooh yum! Sign me up. Yeah, I know I’ll be headed back for more kale within the week, it’s such a heartier green than I imagined!

3. February 12, 2012 10:26 pm

What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

• February 13, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks! While a small part of me wishes we did something a little grander, we’ll save that for when we’re not pinching pennies for grad school, lol.

4. February 12, 2012 10:28 pm

great action shots – i’ve tried that with goldfish and i fail every time

some pals and i just signed up for the Cal Poly Wine Fest on march 31st. i’ve never been, but i have high hopes based on what others have said about it. since our school is near wineries we’ve had a few sorority and friend bday parties centered around wine tasting…. but never wine/food pairings! looks like such a fun weekend activity

not sure about you, but the Safeway near me has wine 6-packs (get 6 and it’s like 10% off?) so the sixer theme still totally works :)

• February 13, 2012 10:33 am

There you go, that’s clearly what I meant. Half a case of wine.

I bet that wine-fest will be a blast and a half, especially with some buddies! I’ve done a wine gala event with one of my girlfriends before for her birthday, it was GREAT (and then got a litttttle too tipsy. Easier to happen than you’d hope with wine!

5. February 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Tell me about Six Plates. I am dying to go….

I have had far too much access to wine at the moment. Wine samples at Trader Joes at 10 in the morning? Don’t mind if I do…

• February 12, 2012 11:56 pm

We went for a tweetup a while ago, every dish was delicious, and I doubt they know how to have bad wine. Plus, the folks who were presenting were knowledgeable AND charming. Important when it comes to wine, IMHO.

6. February 13, 2012 9:28 am

I am dieing to do a wine tasting with my boyfriend, hopefully when the weather gets warmer we will do one. We really want to go to San Fran and do a wine tour, we are going to have to do some saving for that one.

Cheese and crackers are the best with wine, or homemade pizza’s.

For a good laugh go to youtube and search atlanta grape lady, you will pee your pants laughing (if you think it is funny when people fall)

• February 13, 2012 10:34 am

………which, of course, I do. And have seen that lady many times, and prayed to all things holy that I didn’t make the same mistake as she did.

My pride remains intact.

7. February 13, 2012 11:35 am

that game looks like a good way to need the Heimlich.

8. February 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Hope y’all had a fab anniversary! Can’t believe it’s been four years….!!! Love you both.

Trackbacks