That title, that was the inspiration of my day yesterday. I wanted mac and cheese, I wanted buffalo chicken and I KNEW I needed some veggies in the mix. It was all I was thinking about all morning.
It was on my mind while I was eating breakfast.
Welcome the newest addition to my breakfast lineup: Almond Breeze Almond Milk & Coconut Milk Blend. My local Harris Teeter featured this as a NEW ITEM and I can’t resist bold letters and coconut anything.
The verdict? It’s amazing. It’s like a little pina colada in my morning cereal!! Adding in some pineapples, I basically feel like, even though I’m eating twigs (errr… I mean Fiber Fruit & Nut cereal), breakfast time has become a mini-vacation. I mean, I’m not off in the tropics (yet) but it’s delicious.
The mac and cheese was still on my mind when I stopped by the grocery store (to pick up the ingredients). Luckily, I also picked up a little amuse-bouche from the in-store Starbucks.
I present the tiniest, tastiest Starbucks shot. I wanna tell you it was a strawberry smoothie, but I honestly don’t know. It was pink, covered in whipped cream, and even had it’s own tiny straw. Irresistible.
And, of course, it was on my mind when I got home. So I did some searching on the internet, scouring Pinterest to see if this had been done before. And maybe it had, but I got lazy and decided to do it on my own.
The results were cheesy, healthy(ish), and delicious.
I didn’t write down exacts, but here’s the best I got for a recipe.
- One cup of whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 Cups of water (for cooking the pasta)
- 1/5 of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 of a red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of EVOO
- 1/2 to 1 cup of finely riced cauliflower
- 1 Laughing Cow Blue Cheese wedge
- 1/4 cup of Frank’s Red Hot (original is my favorite)
- 1 Chicken Breast (grilled and chopped in bits)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- As much shredded cheese as you’d like (I went with about 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar, and a few sprinkles of mozzarella and “Mexican blend” cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta as directed, and set aside.
- Sauté onion and pepper in the olive oil until soft and delicious.
- Place pasta, chicken, and veggies (onions, cauliflower, red pepper) in a loaf pan, stirring to mix up ingredients.
- Put milk, Laughing Cow wedge, and 3/4 of the cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second spurts, stirring so that it becomes creamy.
- Pour creamy cheese over mix, adding Frank’s Red Hot to the mix and stir, coating all the pasta/chicken/veggies (liberally).
- Sprinkle extra cheese over the mix for a meltiness.
- Place pan in the oven, and cook until hot and melted.
- Enjoy the HECK out of it!!
What food (foods) do you get cravings for?
Mac and Cheese is always one of mine.